[Skip to Content]

Transition of Care: Ulcerative Colitis

What Does It Mean to Transition Health Care?

As teens with ulcerative colitis become adults, the health care provider who oversees their care will switch from a pediatric gastroenterologist to an adult provider. Planning for this transition can help teens take on more responsibility for managing their inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

When Should Teens With Ulcerative Colitis Transition Health Care? 

It depends on the person, but most teens with ulcerative colitis (UC) should transition to an adult health care provider when they're between 18 and 21 years old. Many young adults are going to college or moving away from home at this age. It's important for teens to learn how to take care of themselves and make independent decisions about their health.

How Can Teens With UC Prepare to Transition Health Care?

Starting as early as 12 years old, teens with ulcerative colitis can start to take charge of their health. Parents can supervise, then give more responsibilities as their child gets older.

To help prepare for this transition, teens should know:

What Should Teens Do Before Going to College or Living on Their Own?

Before moving away from home, teens with ulcerative colitis should:

Teens going to college should:

Teens who start a job should:

How Can We Find a Doctor Who Specializes in Ulcerative Colitis?

To find a doctor who specializes in caring for people with ulcerative colitis:

Date reviewed: October 2017

Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.

© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.

Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com